News

Gravatar

Chicken Scratch: It's Not Just a Restaurant, It’s a Destination

by Kacey Long

May 14, 2012

It’s different and original and the concept is from the same man (Tim Byres) that brought us the wonderful Smoke.  I’m not just a little bit of a fan…I’m a HUGE fan of this guy’s work and what he stands for.  Anyone that is trying to bring wholesome, local, garden fare and all natural, hormone-free meats to the masses is a hero in my book.  Top it off with working towards having a 100% compostable restaurant, well that’s just a smart business plan when you’ve got a garden right next to you that will benefit from the nutrients anyways.  Byres is truly an innovative leader in the restaurant industry.

When I found out that Joel Skipper had recently signed on as the Sous Chef at Chicken Scratch, I couldn’t quite put my finger on who was luckier….Byres for gaining such a wonderfully talented up and coming chef, or Joel for getting to be a part of Byres’ new vision.  But then I thought about it for awhile, let’s be honest.  We are the true lucky ones because we get to enjoy the fruits of their labor!

Chicken Scratch is not your typical eat and run restaurant; it is a true destination…the main event… and a place worthy of bringing your friends, pets, family, and whomever else piles into your car when you mention you’re heading out for some of the best chicken in Dallas.  You will probably drive by the place on Pittman St. on your first attempt.  From the road, it looks like a curious establishment, but one you most likely will end up making a U-turn to find.  Once you park and walk around to the courtyard, with the garden to the left and cacti to the right, you know you’re entering something special.  There are picnic tables and a large stage set next to The Foundry (a great bar hang out), bean bag toss, booths set inside rail cars, and generally enough space to feel like you’ve rented your own piece of the place all to yourself.

Chicken Scratch serves up lunch from 11:00-2:00pm and dinner from 4:00-10:00pm daily.  At 4:30 on Sunday, I chose to eat inside and was promptly greeted by Joel Skipper, the Sous Chef, who gave Danny and I a personal tour of the property and happily answered all of our questions.

He was smart to save the tour to the end so I could spend most of the time gushing about how amazing the food was and how I’ve never tasted chicken so sweet.  One of the things Joel really likes about his job is feeding people good food, and boy does he!  From rotisserie to fried, the chicken was some of the best I’ve ever tasted.  He mentioned it has to do with Tim Byres’ philosophy of using hormone-free meat and that the fresh-from-the-farm chicken hits the special brine as soon as it makes it through the doors of the restaurant.

I cannot stress it enough, but holy crap this chicken is good!  Chicken is one of those things that I’m picky about as I like to know that the meat I’m eating grew up on a farm with a chance to see the sun and spread their wings.  After just one bite you know…these chickens were loved.

I cannot forget to mention the wonder that are the homemade-fresh-daily chicken tamales! My husband, Danny, is quite the tamale connoisseur and he was very impressed at how much chicken was packed into this thing.  It was the size of a burrito.  I, for one, was excited that I was actually able to eat a tamale without fear (tamales have a tendency to be made with scary, unidentified meats).  Not this plump little guy.  One bite and it was no wonder that Texas Monthly recently came out to take pictures of these babies.

Come for the chicken, but try all the sides.  Anytime you see a garden next to a restaurant, that’s a dead give away that they care about good side dishes (oh sides, my true love after dessert).  Chicken Scratch cooks up collard greens, mac ‘n’ cheese, mashed potatoes, and fries like nobody’s business.  I seriously think their elbow mac ‘n cheese will be in the running for The Dallas Observer’s Best of  for 2012.  Real cheesy goodnessly recently came out to take pictures of these babies.

They should also be on the radar for best biscuits, because this is the best biscuit you will ever have for $1.  Hey, they could tack on a $3-4 price tag on one of these things, throw in some local honey, and serve them up as dessert with how sweet and texturally amazing they are.  I saved one for breakfast the next day and Danny thought about just letting me have it all to myself, but after he watched me take a bite…he grabbed a knife and halved that sucker.  So close.

I’m a little sad I forgot to try their Paletas (popsicles).  It’s their only dessert on the menu, which is typically a good thing and means that the one-and-only dessert is of headliner caliber.  Joel mentioned that these are a Chicken Scratch recipe made with chunks of real fruit and water.  I saw a child blissfully nibbling away on one of these until she dumped herself out of her chair.  No worries though, she was fine and obviously she valued her delicious popsicle because she was careful to make it stay upright the entire time and didn’t lose a single bite.  It is the perfect choice in light dessert after a meal of comfort foods.  It’s very hard to say that you don’t have room left over for a little fruit and water.  Should be a sure-sell every time.  Genius.

This place is so new I feel like I’m in on a secret.  Before 2 months have passed since the doors open, before the menu even makes it to the website, and before this place becomes so wildly popular you need to bring your own picnic blanket just to have a place to sit, you should rush on over to Chicken Scratch and be a part of something special.  So sure bring the kids (there’s an outdoor area, even the screamers are welcome), leash up the dog, and come and let Joel do the cooking for your next picnic.

*Special thanks to Joel Skipper, Sous Chef at Chicken Scratch, for the interview.

What to Order:

1.  Fried Chicken, rotisserie chicken, chicken strips, chicken tamale….you get the picture

2.  Elbow Mac ‘N Cheese

3.  Biscuits (made fresh daily)

This blog has been contributed by Garden Inspirations and was written by Kacey Long, a food blogger. 

You can follow Kacey by clicking here: http://whoscookingforkacey.com/ 

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest

Butterfly Gardening FarmGirls Radio Show – Legends KAAM 770 AM

May 11, 2012 written by: Donelle Simmons

Last Friday's FarmGirls Radio Show was all about the fluttering butterflies.  It was a light and fun topic.  Sometimes we get into the foods we eat and raise and I leave the radio studio with a heavy heart, knowing how much more there is to accomplish.  After Friday's show, we went out with a light hearted step, butterflies are just good for the soul.  That’s what my mama always says.

To have butterflies, you must have an organic garden – Marilyn told the listeners.  How does one create an organic yard?  You get on an organic program.  There are several to choose from, we have our own – the FarmGirls Organic Program.  You can follow Howard Garrett or Lucy Harrell.   If you take Garden Inspirations's 8 week vegetable course, you are taught in class how to turn your yard from chemical to organic.  It’s probably one of Donelle's favorite lessons to teach -  how to leave the nasty chemicals and learn the patience of being organic.

Marilyn talked about designing your landscape with host and nectar plants.  The host plants will offer the catepillars a place to munch before they begin to change into the pretty little butterflies.  The nectar plants are food for the butterflies.  When thinking of attracting butterflies, make sure you add boulders and an element of water.  The butterflies use the heat from the warm boulders for their wings and adding water not only creates a pretty scene but adds more for the butterfly’s new home.

You can tune in every Friday to the FarmGirls Radio Show, and like Garden Inspirations on Facebook to find out what the topic or special guest might be.  The archived shows are on the website:  www.gardeninspirations-tx.com under the radio tab.  

Gravatar
Pin on Pinterest

FarmGirls' Radio Show

Written by: Donelle Simmons

Tune in every Friday at 1:00 PM on Legends KAAM 770 AM or www.kaamradio.com (stream online) to listen to Marilyn Simmons and Donelle Simmons - the FarmGirls of Garden Inspirations.  Each week they will bring you organic garden topics that will help guide you with your gardening efforts.  It's a challenge to garden in North Texas and throw in the organic methods, it takes time and patience to raise beautiful gardens, but is it worth it?  Of course it is! 

Marilyn and Donelle have had a variety of topics and guests on the show, from talking about the challenges of our soil to butterfly gardening, they anticipate to cover what they feel is deemed important in the organic gardening world.  Guests on the show have been Lucy Harrell, an avid organic gardener friend and mentor of the FarmGirls she spoke about companion planting the weekend of the TOFGA Conference on the show, Amber Dietrich and Meghann Monsanto from Artizone came in to talk about Artizone and the DFW Truck Farm 5k, Dr. Deb Tolman spoke on the show about Keyhole Gardening, Mason Arnold and Aspen Lewis visited with the FarmGirls about Greenling, and Dr. Judy Griffin spoke to the listeners about herbs and her company Aroma Texas Health, but probably Marilyn's favorite guest was her 5 year old granddaughter, Rena, who was visiting from Seattle, Washington and cheered on the DFW Truck Farm Runners from the studio Friday before the run. 

The show is an organic garden call in show and anyone is welcome to call into the show with gardening questions.  Marilyn and Donelle, The FarmGirls, have an organic program for anyone to use to turn a yard from chemical to organic.  With the constant news battle of chemicals in our food and how it is greatly affecting our bodies, becoming an organic gardener might not be a bad idea.  You can call 972-445-0770.  If you would like to know what the show topics are going to be, like the FarmGirls on Facebook:  Garden Inspirations.  They usually post what the topic is going to be ahead of time.

Tune in Fridays on Legends KAAM 770 AM or stream online at www.kaamradio.com to listen to this new and exciting gardening show.  The show is currently sponsored by Redenta's and Nature's Guide.