Blog

Gravatar

Please leaf a smaller footprint this year.

Do you believe it!  We are just about two months away from November—the beginning of leaf season in our area and the beginning of Loving Garland Green’s November Leaf Awareness Campaign.   This will be our second year to conduct that community service program.

Pound for pound, the leaves of most trees contain twice as many minerals as manure and most chemical fertilizers. For example, the mineral content of a sugar maple leaf is over five percent, while even common pine needles have 2.5 percent of their weight in calcium, magnesium, nitrogen and phosphorus, plus other trace elements.  Most chemical fertilizers only contain Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus (NPK).  Plants need other minerals as well – calcium and sulfur in particular to name two of them.

Yet each year thousands of leaves all over the USA are bagged and left curbside to be picked up and hauled off to landfills.  When organic matter is hauled to a landfill, it is removed from available use as a recycled natural resource—often for hundreds of years.  By sending leaves to the landfill, Americans waste millions of dollars every year—not to mention the harm we do to our environment by taking this valuable natural resource out of circulation.

The Best Solution: Mulch the leaves and leave them on your lawn.

Stop putting chemical fertilizers on your yard and instead use finely mulched leaves.  When leaves are mulched where they fall (and any ordinary lawnmower fitted with a mulching blade will do the job) they are put to immediate use.

When the leaves are dry and about three inches deep over your lawn, mow over them with a mulching blade. You can purchase a mulching blade at any garden store.  They are simple to install. Usually it simply means turning your lawnmower on it side and using a screwdriver to remove one screw in the center of the blade and replacing it with a mulching blade.  Mulching your leaves where they fall eliminates the labor-intensive work of raking or blowing leaves into a pile and bagging them. The little pieces of leaves will drop down in between the blades of grass and serve as mulch to block spaces where weeds might grow. As they quickly decay because of their small size, they will nourish your lawn.  

Some urban yards have too many trees to use all the leaves.  If this is the case with your lawn, then use the leaf catcher on your lawn mower to collect and bag the rest for your flowerbeds or to donate to your local community garden or perhaps to a neighbor who has no trees.

Take the grass catcher off your mower and mow over the leaves on your lawn. Reduce your leaf clutter to dime-size pieces. You're done when about half an inch of grass can be seen through the mulched leaf layer. Once the leaf bits settle in, microbes and worms get to work recycling them. Any kind of rotary-action mower will do the job, and any kind of leaves can be chopped up. 

Soil is an Endangered Resource

If you need another reason for leaving your leaves in your yard, remember that in addition to costing you money when you throw them away, leaves are the major organic contribution to the process of making new soil.  Every year we lose a little bit of soil from our yards:  Some of it is carried away on the bottoms of our shoes but much of it is washed away with rains and watering and carried off via our storm sewers.

Those leaves represent future soil and nutrition for plants and grass in your yard. Soil is made by nature through the process of decomposition of organic matter such as leaves. When you have leaves removed from your property, you will eventually need to replace the soil and other nutrients that would have been provided free for you by the leaves.

The Monarch is not the only natural resource that needs saving.  “The world's soils are rapidly deteriorating due to soil erosion, nutrient depletion, loss of soil organic carbon, soil sealing and other threats, but this trend can be reversed provided countries take the lead in promoting sustainable management practices and the use of appropriate technologies . . . “ From a United Nations Report issued in December of 2015

Proper stewardship of the land is no longer the sole responsibility of those living the agrarian life.  Proper land management is also the responsibility of urban dwellers and will increasingly become more important as we move toward 2050 when it is estimated that 80% of the world’s population will live in urban areas.

Residents of Austin, Texas have a company called “Compost Pedallers.  This company has employees who pedal around Austin on their bicycles picking up compost in five gallon buckets their company supplies to those who want to participate.  These buckets are then sold to a nearby organic farm. – Photo from Compost Pedallers’ website.  

Speaking of Innovative Ways to Deal with Organic Matter: Compost Pickup Services are popping up all over the USA.

There are some people out there who understand the value of organic matter.  A couple of days ago, a friend and member of Loving Garland Green, Cheryl Andres sent me a link to an article written about the Compost Pedallers, an innovative company in Austin, Texas.

Compost Pedallers looks like a successful enterprise.  They also provide jobs for local cyclists and other positions in their company—Just one more way that living green boosts local economies.

Garland Almost Had a Loving Garland Green Version of Compost Pedallers Four Years Ago

The article made me nostalgic.  Three years ago when the Garland Community Garden was new and we needed to build soil for garden I asked several grocers in the area if they would allow Loving Garland Green to pick up their spoiled produce once a week.  My plan was that we would take it to the garden and mix it in with leaves.  [If you cover fresh organic matter with a foot of dry brown matter, it will not attract animals as the dry matter masks the odor.  If any compost pile stinks, it’s only because it’s not being properly managed.]

I approached three different grocers and they all, except for Krogers (who told me it was against corporate policy) told me the same story:  “The city of Garland has an ordinance against it.”  I checked with the Mayor and city officials from the Health Department and they all told me the same story:  There is no such ordinance.    The Mayor even wrote me a letter of introduction and mentioned in it the absence of such a code.  The grocers must have taken a lesson from Krogers because their next excuse was that it was against corporate policy.

I just let it drop at that point. Loving Garland Green was barely begun and there was lots of work to do.  Obtaining organic waste from grocers which I planned to eventually expand to citizens got pushed to the background.  Although I probably should have persisted because I will say that I had great support from City officials—both elected and those employed in the various Garland City Departments.

The Garland Environmental Waste Department even delivered two large plastic containers for us to store the unused organic waste in.

Perhaps this is an idea whose time has finally arrived?  Really, we should only use our garbage disposals for animal products and processed foods.  Besides, throwing away organic waste, just like throwing away your leaves, is nothing short of throwing away money.

WalMart Knows the Value of Organic Waste

I do know that WalMart recognizes the value because they keep their spoiled produce in a locked metal bin in the back of their store.  I was there early one morning (about 5:30 AM) when a truck pulled alongside the bin and unloaded it.  I asked the driver where the load was going and he said it was going to an organic farm about 25 miles away.  I don’t know if WalMart was paying him or if he was paying WalMart.  Most likely he is the one forking over the dough to WalMart—because they really need it, don’t they? 

Gravatar

MEET FEMALE MONARCH XGM-625 -- Charlie holds what may be the first tagged female monarch for 2017 – August 26, 5:45 PM – Garland Community Garden Garland, Texas

Late this afternoon Charlie and I went to the Garland Community Garden to pick some okra.  We took a butterfly net with us along with the tag kit and data sheet that just arrived from Monarch Watch – University of Kansas on Thursday, August 24.

Charlie netted and I tagged the first monarch ever that we netted and tagged in the wild.  (Of course someone else in Garland may already be the first one this year to net and tag a monarch but until someone else steps up, I’ll claim that honor in behalf of Loving Garland Green and the Garland Community Garden.)  Last year we participated in the Monarch Watch Org tagging program, but we only tagged 30 monarchs that we had reared from caterpillars.  We did not net or capture Monarchs in the wild.

Female Monarch netted at the Garland Community Garden – August 26, 2017.  She was tagged and released in less than five minutes.  Tags do not impair their ability to fly and they remain on the butterfly until their death.  Because of the date, this particular one is likely fourth generation and will not migrate to Mexico.  Her short life will likely end in late September.  However her role is critical, as she will deposit eggs for fifth generation monarchs who will overwinter in Mexico and live 6 to 8 months. They will return to Texas in late March of 2018 to deposit eggs for first generation monarchs of 2018.

Information on the Tiny Tag:

TAG@KUEDU - identifies the group issuing the tag as Kansas University

MONARCH WATCH – identifies study group as Monarch Watch

1-888-TAGGING – is the phone number to call if you find a monarch with this tag

XGM 625 is the unique tag code for this particular monarch.  This code is tied to a corresponding data sheet the tagger completes and sends in to Kansas University.  I ordered 50 tags.  The codes for the Monarchs that we tag will have the alpha part as “XGM” and the numeric as 625 through 674

Thus if someone nets this tagged female, they would call 1-888-TAGGING and report where it was netted.   

2017 Monarch Watch Tagging Datasheet

The codes on the tag correlate to data the tagger enters on a datasheet.  For example, for female Monarch XGM625, the researcher/scientist would know that monarch is associated with Elizabeth Berry, the person who ordered the tags.  They would know the monarch was tagged on August 26, 2017; that is female; that it was a Monarch that was netted in the wild and then tagged and released; and finally they would know the location according to Zip code as to where the Monarch was tagged.

Monarch Watch Tagging Datasheet with its first entry - August 26, 2017.

Monarch Netting/Tagging Event
Hosted by Loving Garland Green

Saturday September 2

9AM to 11AM

Garland Community Garden

4022 Naaman School Road
Garland, Texas 75040

Come on down to the garden and watch us net and tag Monarchs.  By next week there should be plenty of them.

We will also have some cardboard monarchs and simulated tags that visitors can practice with.  Those who are experienced at netting butterflies are especially welcome to bring your nets and come on down.  With careful supervision we will let adults who want to try their hand at netting a Monarch to have a go at it.

This is a good opportunity to visit the Garland Community Garden and get your photo taken (free) at the Monarch face board.  It’s a great family event for part of the morning on Labor Day weekend.  Afterward, go to downtown Garland and see our great MarketPlace and meet some of our makers in person.

Netting and tagging Monarchs is done so that scientists can obtain more precise information that can be used to increase the drastically dwindling population of Monarchs.  In February of 2017 the National Wildlife Federation’s Blog reported that New Numbers Show Monarch Butterfly Population Still in Trouble.   Their report stated there was a 27% decrease in the population from 2016, the previous year.  In just the last 20 years the Monarch population has decreased by 90%

Loss of habitat (and in particular the loss of milkweed) is often cited as the main contributing factor to the decline in Monarch population.

Urban dwellers could do much to help save the monarch by simply adding a few native milkweed plants (the only host plant used by Monarchs) to their flowerbeds.  Here in Garland, we make that even easier.  Just call up Mayor Athas and ask for some milkweed seeds.  He has signed the Mayors' Monarch Pledge.

Join Monarch Maniacs in Garland Texas and Bring Back Monarchs!

Participants will receive:
 - One seed packet of Green Milkweed (contains 10 seeds);
 - One 22-by-16 inch Monarch Maniacs yard sign (double-sided with stake); and
 - One information card with tips and tricks on how to plant your milkweed.

These items will be available for pickup at City Hall, 200 N. Fifth St. For more information about when to pick up your items, call the Office of the Mayor at 972-205-2400 or email Mayor@GarlandTX.gov

Gravatar

Making things is fun. 

The things I make don’t always look like the vision that inspired me, (or the photo on the recipe in the case of my kitchen adventures) but that has never discouraged me because the process of making is so much magical fun that the outcome is nearly irrelevant.   And once in a while the things I make turn out even better than I envisioned.

For example, early this morning (5:30 AM) before I went down to the Garland Community Garden for our monthly cleanup day, I made some shea butter soap for the first time in my life.  Actually the soap would more accurately be called “shea butter lavender loofah soap” as it has pieces of loofah and lavender seeds from the Garland Community Garden in it.  Members of Loving Garland Green are making items to give away at the upcoming LiveWell GoGreen Expo Sept 23, 2017

Garland Texas.  Among other things, we are giving away handcrafted soap.

Lavender/Loofah scrub soap made with materials from the Garland Community Garden – August 26, 2017.  This soap is not for the face but it’s great for the feet. Although it looks good enough to eat, you better not.

The Urban Garden and Local Businesses Connect to Makers in Many Ways

Among other things, the urban garden makes food for bees and bees make honey for beekeepers (like Garland’s Bee Girl) to collect and sell.  Local people, urban gardens, nature and vibrant enterprise are all connected in a Maker community.

Most of my plants and seeds I purchase from Rohde’s, a locally owned organic Garland business.  Yesterday I was in there to purchase some of their great organic fertilizer for the garden just in time for the rain today. I noticed a display of honey on their counter top and asked if the owner was a local Garland person—Of course she was!  Local businesses generally help promote other local businesses.

Local Garland Honey from Christi Baughman Bee Girl http://beegirl.biz  (972) 822-4262 sold at Rohde’s Nursery—also in Garland Texas.

Urban Gardeners Partner with Nature to Make Things

The garden can be viewed as a large factory where things are manufactured on a daily, if not hourly basis.  Some of the things made in the garden such as weeds, are not entirely desirable.  Following in the footsteps of Ruth Stout, the Mulch Queen: before the rain this morning members of Loving Garland Green met in the garden to put down some natural weed barrier—hay.  A Garland resident, Cindy Singleton, donated the hay.  Normally we wouldn’t use hay as mulch, but this hay was very dry, loose, and had been moved three times so most to the seeds have been left elsewhere.

The weed barrier consists of layers of newspaper with hay on top.  Not only will this barrier prevent weeds from growing, it will also protect the roots of the plants already growing by holding moisture in the ground.  As the hay decays, it will add nourishment to the soil as all organic matter will.

Medicine Wheel at the Garland Community Garden now has a weed barrier—thanks to Loving Garland Green board member, Burgi Bartlett.  No more weed pulling this year in this plot. – Garland Community Garden August 26, 2017.

Organic Matter Also Replaces the Need for Herbicides and Chemical Fertilizers

The grass in our walkways down in the front part of the Garland community garden looks great.  This marks our second year for spreading a two-inch layer of finely mulched leaves in the fall and spreading over this area.  The grass is thick and almost totally void of weeds.  If you mulch the leaves finely, they sift down to the ground and block weed growth while nourishing the grass roots as the leaves decay. There is no good reason in Garland to put your leaves curbside to be delivered to the landfill. 

Drip Irrigation System Installation is Moving Along

This morning, Loving Garland Green Member Rae and I installed drip irrigation tubing in two beds.  At this point we are more than halfway finished with the installation of the grids in all the beds—a very labor-intensive process.

Photo shows Native milkweed bed and closeup. We built a drip irrigation grid for it this morning and also in the 30 foot long bed shown in the background – Garland Community Garden -August 26, 2017

Closing Note on Makers

The Next Pet Rock?  Spinning Widgets – held between the thumb and forefinger, one can spin this widget and entertain oneself and others – August 26, 2017

When I was at Michaels yesterday purchasing some shea butter for the soap-making venture, I saw these widgets on their countertop.  Normally such items would not have caught my eye but this one did because one of the people on our Makerspace Team for Garland has made a similar item at the Dallas Makerspace.  However, I believe his is a little more functional and can be used not only as a self-entertainment tool, but also as a bottle opener.

When you think of makerspaces, think of their connectivity to community, local economy, urban gardens and their mutual benefit to you and your neighbors. Not all ideas and products growing out of a makerspace and people tinkering together are whimsical.  

More Makerspace Ideas.

Gravatar

Makerspaces Can Uplift and Transform Communities

Large community makerspaces have the potential to transform communities into vibrant caldrons of innovation that increase prosperity.  Much of the tinkering that takes place under the roof of a makerspace grows into businesses that create useful things and gainfully employ others.  We should know by now that little help is coming from Washington DC or even our state government in Austin.  We must start taking initiative at the local and individual levels for our own transformation.

According to a report titled “How Cities Can Grow the Maker Movement”:  

The maker movement is centered in cities. And this new, hyperlocal manufacturing environment holds potential not only for individual hobbyists but also for community-wide advances in local entrepreneurship and job creation. Cities have a great opportunity to catalyze this movement as a way to improve our local economies, diversify workforce opportunities, and support the creative economy.

Two years ago in 2015, I wrote a proposal for my community and posted links to this proposal on Loving Garland Green’s website.  The proposal is for the redevelopment of an under-used area within walking distance of Garland’s downtown square and included such things as a makerspace and urban gardens.  I decided to revisit that proposal in this post.  All the various pages and sections of this proposal may be viewed at the Document Directory.  I posted it in 2015 on Loving Garland Green’s website.  

The proposed area is shown in the map below.  It is bounded on the north by Austin Street, one the east by North 1st; on the south by Avenue A; and on the west by North 3rd Street.  It also includes some portions of N. 5th and Main Streets to the east of the railroad tracks.

Walkable Main Street—An area entirely walkable from downtown Garland

A Plant-Based Economy Is Compatible with a Makerspace Community

Like makerspaces, a plant-based economy is connected, supportive and local.  A plant-based economy is also compatible with a Makerspace Community in that it can provide materials that can be used to create products in the makerspace.  In addition, a plant-based economy can also increase the market need for related tools such as those needed for urban gardens:  new types of space-saving vertical containers suited to the urban garden, etc.  The plants themselves can be the materials for the new products:  pillows stuffed with hops (the world’s first tranquilizer); jams and jellies created in the commercial kitchen of a makerspace; jars of dried spices; seeds contained in packets designed in the graphics area of a makerspace; blackberry hand lotion; etc.

In my proposal for Walkable Main, I suggested that blackberry bushes be planted throughout that area—even in pots with trellises along that part of Main Street.  Blackberries grow well in our area and they are used as the basic raw material for many products—not all of which are food products.   Following are excerpts from that 2015 proposal.

All photos of garden products below were created by welders and are for sale at the actual prices shown. They are provided to show the potential for earning money by using welding skills to create urban garden items. Similar garden items created at the makerspace could be sold on Walkable Main Street, thus attracting walkers to Walkable Main Street. These items could be scattered throughout Walkable Main Street for sale, thus providing an elemental reason for people to keep walking on Walkable Main. All the businesses on Walkable Main are connected and supportive of each other. With the promotions of blackberry bushes, plain sturdy trellises will also be in high demand.  From “Walkable Main”

NOTE:  One of the suggestions I made in that proposal was to approach local businesses in the area to see if they might be interested in using a corner of their shop as a mini  Makerspace where qualified citizens might come and use their equipment for a fee and where the owners might even like to provide training (also for a fee).  Sharing such spaces would need to be a mutually beneficial relationship for all parties involved.  Wallis Welders, a local business in this area was one that I used as an example.

Makerspaces and Connectivity

Many of the items made in the Makerspaces along Walkable Main can also be featured along the Walkable Main Street and also in shops down on the square. Shops on the square can be connected with WALKABLE MAIN. We might even eventually be making enough products in the Walkable Main neighborhood to support a Walkable Main Street Store on the downtown Garland Square. The items created by the Wallis Welders and their makerspace minions will support and promote the edible blackberry landscaping that is blended into the Walkable Main Street path.

Other items for sale along Walkable Main will, of course be blackberry bushes. These too can be sold at any of the businesses along Walkable Main. Loving Garland Green would like to see as many makerspaces as possible connected to the process of strengthening a plant-based local economy.

Welding As Career

Of course like any career, welding is not for everyone. But it certainly is for some. Justin Friend, in 2013, his first full year as a welder, had an income of about $130,000, more than triple the average annual wages for welders in the U.S. In 2014, Mr. Friend’s income rose to about $140,000.

[This story is from Jan 2015 Wall Street Journal: The $140,000 a Year Welding Job – Two Year Degree and Special Skills Pay Off for Young Texan.  ]

Three Good Reasons for Establishing Makerspaces

1) Makerspaces are great laboratories for job creation and job training.

2) Makerspaces will attract people to this area and give people one more reason for coming here.

3) Makerspaces can contribute to growing and strengthening our local economy and especially the businesses already located and/or to be built nearby.  If a developer wants to create an attraction for an area to be developed, a Makerspace serves well.

More References and Resources

• MAKE MAGAZINE is perhaps the premier stopping place on the Internet for information regarding how to create a Makerspace. Make Magazine's website includes project instructions, the Maker Shed maker supplies store, project plans, videos, event listings and more.

• Six Strategies for Funding a Makerspace  
Gravatar

Old Meets New at Makerspaces:  Wood chisels and a 3D printer at the Dallas Makerspace – July 2015

Even More Making is Soon to Come to Our City.

I am a member of a team in Garland and we are working to bring a Makerspace to our community. According to the New Media Consortium’s Horizon Report: 2015 K-12 Edition, “makerspaces are expected to be increasingly adopted by schools to make use of mobile learning and cultivate environments where students take ownership of their education by doing and creating.” 

A Makerspace is particularly appropriate for Garland because we are a community of makers with a history that goes back to the earliest days of our City when we made our own utility company.  The early residents of Garland tried to hook up with some of the existing utility companies from larger nearby cities such as Dallas, but those entities did not want anything to do with Garland because it was too small at the time.  Consequently a few enterprising locals formed a cooperative and purchased a generator.  This group eventually grew into the Garland Power and Light Company.

What is a Makerspace?

People have been making things since the dawn of time when our earliest ancestors made tools and utensils from stone and clothing from the hides of animals.  Makerspaces are unique. They mix the use of old technology with the latest technology for making things and Makerspaces are places that bring the elements of community and sharing into the picture.  Instead of one creator working alone in closet or garage at home, makerspaces are alive with the synergy and sharing of many creators working under the same roof, sharing tools and ideas.

A Makerspace is many things.  It is a place where art and creativity meet and blend with science.  It is a place where the American local economy is being rebuilt one creative entrepreneur at a time.  It is a place for dreamers and builders of all ages.  It is a place for families and singles.  People interested in Makerspaces (judging from the crowd of about 25 people on the tour of the Dallas Makerspace I attended in 2015) represent a melting pot range of ages, colors and cultures.”  From “Dallas Makerspace—Stepping Stone to the Future.”     

In my opinion, what really pushed makerspaces to the forefront during the 21st century was Make: magazine in 2005. As with any idea, new thing or technology, explanations are needed in order for people to understand its use and potential and Make: magazine has filled this needed niche.

Makerspaces provide new and old technology and tools for the makers.  Especially with the new technology and tools, individuals might not be able to afford to purchase them, but they can join a Makerspace and after training, have access to them.  Some say that today’s Makerspaces had their roots in the Fab labs at MIT.  Perhaps. Others suggest they arose from the Hacker community.

One of the most exciting new technological tools usually available at Makerspaces today is the 3D printer.  For those of you who have heard about them, but who aren’t exactly sure how they work, the following information may shed some light on the topic for you. Nearly all Makerspaces have at least one 3D printer.

Example of a 3D printer:  Form Lab2 priced at $3,499.00

BASICS OF 3D PRINTERS

What is a 3D printer?

3D printers are a new generation of machines that can make ordinary objects. They can produce different kinds of objects, in different materials, all from the same machine—from metal machine parts to plastic toys.  They are even being used to manufacture prosthetic devices for human beings.  A 3D printer can be viewed as a somewhat self-contained micro-factory.  Among other things they include a tank for pouring the material in that will make the object and a build platform for making it.

The 3D printer reduces the amount of space required for old technology that did the same thing.  For example, using old technology, it takes a factory to turn out a spatula that you use in your kitchen.  Using a 3D printer, all you need is a computer, software, and a 3D printer.

Why is it called printing?

If you look at a page of text from your home printer under a microscope, you’ll see the letters are sitting slightly on top of the paper.

Theoretically, if you printed over that same page a few thousand times, eventually the ink would build up enough layers on top of each other to create a solid 3D model of each letter.  3D printers work by creating many stacked tiny layers that eventually create a physical form. 

How long does it take to make something?

After you have sent the “slices” of your model to the 3D printer, it can take several hours up to several days, depending upon the printer and the size of the object being created.

What kinds of materials can be used to create objects with 3D printers?

Ordinary ink jet printers use ink.  However the type of 3D printer that you are using dictates the kinds of materials you can use in the 3D printer. Generally speaking, just about any material that can be squirted out in liquid form can be used.  Here is a list of current possibilities: sintered powdered metal; carbon fiber and other composites; carbon nanotubes and grapheme embedded in plastics; Nitinol; water-absorbing plastic; stem cells; conductive carbomorph; paper; edible substances; and even concrete.

How exactly do you make something with a 3D printer?

The big picture:  You design a 3D object on an ordinary home computer with 3D modeling software (or a 3D scanner), slice the design into hundreds of horizontal slices, connect the virtual display of the sliced object to a 3D printer, and press ‘print’. 

More Detail:

1. Make a virtual design of the object you want to create. [This can be done with a CAD file using a 3D modeling application or you can use a 3D scanner to copy an object. For example, if I wanted to create a spatula and I had one in my kitchen, I would scan that object to create a virtual file using a 3-D scanner.]

Examples of two 3D Laser Scanners:  the one on the left is priced at $132 and the one on the right at over $66,000

3D Scanners:
Soon Smart phones will come with 3D scanners. Microsoft (Kinect) and Google enabled their hardware to perform 3D scanning.  Today the price range for 3D Scanners varies from $100 to $66,000 and more.

3D Modeling Software:
You can pay thousands of dollars for this software, or you can use open source such as Blender, for instance.  

Tinkercad has a free version and it works in browsers such as Chrome.

2.  Prepare your 3D model for printing by slicing the virtual image.

This step slices the image of the object you created into hundreds (sometimes thousands) of horizontal slices.  This step is performed within the 3D modeling software, or, depending upon the type of 3D printer you have, you may have to use a slicing tool for that particular 3D printer.

3. Make sure you have the materials for making in the 3D printer.

4.  Feed the sliced virtual model to the 3D Printer.

[Use USB, Secure Digital (SD), or WiFi.]

5. PRINT

When will Garland have a Makerspace?

We are too soon in the process of creating one to provide an exact date, but I am confident that Garland will have a great makerspace before we see the end of 2018.  I will keep you posted.

Change and new ideas often take time to gain acceptance.

Remember, there is always the bell-shaped change curve to take into consideration when introducing any concept that smacks of change.

In responding to change:  Two percent are innovators; ten percent catch on fast and are early adopters; sixty percent are middle adopters who are reasonable in their analysis of a new idea, but inclined to maintain the status quo at first; Twenty-percent fall into the category of "late adopters" who are inclined to accept change after the change is already in the mainstream; Eight percent are laggards whose commitment is always to the status quo and the past.  If they had their way, which thankfully they do not, time and progress would be frozen.

Bell-shaped Curve of Change [Source:  John C. Maxwell; “Developing the Leader Within You”; ISBN 0-8407-6744-7

Gravatar

One of Four Female Monarchs Released in the Garland Community Garden August 22, 2017  - These Monarchs were rescued as caterpillars on August 7, 2017 by Burgi Bartlett, Loving Garland Green Board member and adopted by Jane Stroud, President.

In addition to planting our fall gardens—at our homes and down at the Garland Community Garden—the next month of days are crammed with exciting activities for our organization and for Garland, Texas.  Among our many scheduled events for this time period, we also have two large haystacks donated to the Garland Community Garden by a Garland resident that we plan to have distributed throughout the garden by the end of September.  The third haystack we have in the back of the garden.  This one we will keep watered to discourage rodents taking up residence and we will allow it to decay into rich soil for the spring.

Normally we would not be using hay, as it tends to have a lot of seeds as compared to straw.  However, as this hay is extremely loose and dry and has been moved three times, most of its seeds have been left at its previous sites.  We will use it as mulch and to build new beds at the garden. 

Also, in between all these activities we hope to finish the installation of our drip irrigation system down at the Garden by the end of September.

AUGUST/SEPTEMBER UPCOMING EVENTS

Month-End Saturday Garden Workday:

August 26 - 8AM - Noon - Garland Community Garden - 4022 Naaman School Road

Members and the public are invited down to the garden at 4022 Naaman School Road to help us spruce up the Garland Community Garden.  Instead of pulling the grass in our beds, we will be laying down newspapers and cardboard and piling hay on top to smother the grass.  Come join us and see this technique in action.

Monarch Butterfly Event

Saturday September 2 - 9 to 11 AM - Garland Community Garden

We will be demonstrating how to net and tag Monarch Butterflies.  After that we will be headed to downtown Garland for the fabulous Garland MarketPlace.

Texas Day of Giving

Thursday September 7

[See home page of  www.lovinggarlandgreen.org  for details]

LIVEWELL GOGREEN EXPO

LiveWell GoGreen Expo

Sept 23, 2017

9:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Starting at 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., this annual community and Garland ISD family-friendly event will feature free health screenings, pet adoption, opportunities to donate & recycle, flu vaccines, safety and environmental exhibitors, giveaways and free activities for kids.  For questions about the Healthy Living Expo call 972-205 2191   www.GoGreenGarland.com

Stop by the downtown Garland MarketPlace at 9 AM and then stop by the Healthy Living Expo when the morning sun heats up as the Culwell Center is air-conditioned.

NOTE:  Be sure to stop by Loving Garland Green’s booth at this event.  We will be giving away free packets of seeds and handmade loofah soap.

Gravatar
Female Monarch at the Garland Community Garden August 20, 2017

Sorry for the short notice but Monarchs have their own time schedule.

For the second time we've been waiting with Monarchs for Monarch Watch.org to ship our tags and still no tags.  Jane and I ordered them in early July and were told they would start shipping in early August.  This is their third day of being in their condo.

These four (all females) will make a total of six Monarchs that Loving Garland Green has released at the Garland Community Garden in August:  Five females and one male.  In April when they came through here Jane Stroud, President Loving Garland Green rescued twelve as caterpillars. Seven were released. Thus so far in Garland we have rescued 18 caterpillars and released 13 Monarchs--and the so-called season for them in Garland has not even begun.  [Note: because it was early April, the caterpillars ate all the milkweed in Jane's garden. Seven of them made pupas but she still had five hungry caterpillars on her hands so she ran out to a local nursery and bought some milkweed that was likely tainted with pesticide as all five of the ones still in the caterpillar stage died.

We are releasing them at 1PM because 1) It's after the time when our mail comes and we will hold out hope for tags until then and 2) it gives the monarchs plenty of time to gather nectar before dark.

When you are at the garden you can also look at the three gigantic haystacks in the garden and have photos of yourself as a monarch taken.  Normally we would not accept hay because it usually has seeds associated with it.  However this hay is very dry and loose and movement to the Garland Community Garden makes its third move which means the largest portion of any seeds it may have had were left at its prior sites.  We will be using it for mulch that will enrich existing beds and also as material for new beds.

MONARCH WEBINAR AUGUST 29TH AT 2PM

Please invite any staff or partners you feel may be interested in this update or those who have technical expertise regarding monarch butterflies and evaluating their population status. In addition to the update, we will provide information on the Monarch Conservation Efforts Database that we are developing and there will be time for questions and answers. We hope you can join us.

Tuesday, August 29   2:00 p.m. Central Time

Webinar and audio conference:

URL: https://www.mymeetings.com/nc/join/

Conference number: PW5035962

Audience passcode: 7971644

Participants can join the event directly at:

https://www.mymeetings.com/nc/join.php?i=PW5035962&p=7971644&t=c

Gravatar

Esperanza Farms had their usual beautiful selection of fruits and vegetables – Garland MarketPlace – August 19, 2017 – Garland Texas

Each MarketPlace Is Unique

The Garland MarketPlace is like a river or a garden:  You can never step into the same Garland MarketPlace twice, which is one of several reasons why I go there every first and third Saturday.  It’s a different experience every time.  Many of the same vendors are there and I enjoy chatting with them. And there are always new folks to talk with too.  No two markets are ever exactly the same--even the ones held in the same city.

If you think the American Dream is dead, you need to visit the Garland MarketPlace.  It is alive with the energy of people who are “out there” with their talent and dreams on display in real time, local time.  Their entrepreneurial spirit, hope and courage are the raw material of our nation’s backbone.  You can see it all even if your eyes are half-shut at the Garland MarketPlace.

Get inspired!  Visit the Garland MarketPlace the first and third Saturday of the month and see entrepreneurs of all ages, shapes, colors, religions, and ethnic backgrounds taking action to make their dreams come true.   Learn first-hand from the people who are doing it.

WANT TO BE ONE OF THE VALUED MARKETPLACE VENDORS AND START TAKING ACTION TO MAKE YOUR DREAM COME TRUE?

E-MAIL: Kirk.Eventive@Live.Com
PHONE: Tel: 469-275-9616

On Texas Day of Giving, please support Loving Garland Green

Speaking of LOCAL, allow me to take a little space here to promote my favorite local nonprofit in Garland Texas:  Loving Garland Green.  I am the past president and currently serve on its board as President Emeritus.  We are the official stewards of the Garland Community Garden at 4022 Naaman School Road.  Visit the garden any time.  It’s open to the public and children love it.  Take your picture and their photo in the Monarch face board when you are there.  Then send a copy of the photo to Mayor Doug Athas.

We do a lot of work for the local community of Garland—especially for our local students in Garland ISD, Home Schoolers and those in our charter schools.

Visit our website at www.lovinggarlandgreen.org

And our Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/LGGurbangardens

Beginning September 7, simply go to Loving Garland Green's information site  at North Texas Day of Giving  and you can schedule your donation for Loving Garland Green. 

Triniti Fisher and Kayli Denney provided the live music at the August 19, 2017 Garland MarketPlace event.

Like most of Kirk’s great Eventive Live productions, the Garland MarketPlace had live music.  We were entertained by the voices of Triniti Fisher and Kayli Denney—both talented musicians and singers who hail from Rockwall, Texas.  To get them to perform at your venue, please contact Kirk and I’m sure he will forward your request to the girls.  Take it from me:  these two young girls are great entertainers who very likely will make it to Nashville or Hollywood soon.  Hire them now for your club or party while you can still afford them.  Then you can say:  “I knew them when.”  Remember, you heard it here first on Eat Green DFW.

Coming Attraction to the MarketPlace in September:  Michael Burk -  Artist and Woodcarver and Garland resident – Garland MarketPlace – Garland Texas – August 19, 2017 [You can’t see it well in the photo but the cane he is holding has a black lab’s head for the handle.  Mr. Burk carved it out of wood.]

We could all take a few tips from Mr. Burk when it comes to Promotion!

Mike was leaning on a car as Charlie and I walked by. “Excuse me a minute,” he said, “are you the lady who wrote the article a couple of weeks ago about the Garland MarketPlace?”

“Yes,” I answered, as always surprised (and a little edgy) when a total stranger knows who I am because you can never know what or how much they know about you and/or even worse if they are perhaps basing their knowledge of you on the opinion of some one else who happens to hate your guts.  In other words, these kinds of acknowledgments always have the potential to go south in a few seconds.

“Well that was a good article and I enjoyed reading it.” He said.

Well that was it.  If you ever want to hook a writer, just tell them that you read what they wrote and liked it.   Sometimes it’s not even necessary to tell them that you liked it.  More often than not it’s enough to just mention that you read it.

Turned out that Mr. Burk had quite a story to tell and it was an interesting one to listen to.  I’ll try to do it justice by sharing some of it with you.  Seventeen years ago he was diagnosed with cancer that had metastasized.  As part of his healing process, he began to carve toys for children.  He would take them to the hospital and give them away to the children there.  He had never carved before.  Gradually he graduated to carving large pieces as you can see on his Facebook at

https://www.facebook.com/pg/toydocmike/photos/?ref=page_internal .

The weather is too hot for his health at the moment, but Mr. Burk will be there with his woodcarvings at the Garland MarketPlace in September.  In the meantime visit him at his Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/toydocmike

Salsa Texan had a booth at the Garland MarketPlace – August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

Salsa Texan

Local has gone uptown. These chips are sold to classy establishments like the Four Seasons and the Carlton Ritz.  No wonder!  They are good and they are healthy.

CONTACT

https://www.facebook.com/thesalsatexan/
wendi@thesalsatexan.com   

Anthony Nguyen and Hoan Vuong from The Dapper Doughnut – Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

Just what the World Needs!  Great Gourmet Quality Donuts made Fresh All Day Long and catered to your doorstep.

http://thedapperdoughnut.com/frisco-tx

THE DAPPER DOUGHNUT

Anthony and Hoan are high school buddies that reconnected in the DFW area after many years. They both were raised in the New Orleans area and graduated from John Ehret High School in Marrero, LA.  Hoan graduated from Loyola University in New Orleans with a B.S. in Computer Science. He is currently an IT Professional in the DFW Metroplex.

Anthony is a proud graduate of the University of Texas at Dallas with a B.S in Accounting and Information Management and is currently an Accountant in Dallas, TX.  They both enjoy food and fun. The Dapper Doughnut is the perfect combination of both. They look forward to sharing delicious mini-doughnuts with the community they now call home.

They can cater their mini donuts for your special event! They can provide specialized color and flavor themes for weddings, birthdays, showers and promotional events. They also deliver to corporate offices, hotels and local businesses!

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Anthony Nguyen
anguyen@thedapperdoughnut.com
214-218-4224

Hoan Vuong
Hvuong@thedapperdoughnut.com
214-207-8507

$8 custom handmade and cut 3x8 inch classroom door sign from Dripping Rhinestones Garland MarketPlace – August 19, 2017 Garland, Texas

Dripping Rhinestones

We stopped by but Jimmy was busy talking to paying customers so we didn’t interrupt.  Visit their Facebook for more information.  This little dad/daughter operation turn out lots of wall art AND they will custom make signs and wall art according to your specifications.

Krystal Aguado  214-934-6019

Jimmy Clark  303-332-3195

drippinrhinestones@yahoo.com

https://www.facebook.com/DrippinRhinestones1111

Stacey Smith of Zen Tala is one of the few people I know with a third eye – Garland MarketPlace – August 19, 2017 – Garland Texas

Zen Tala

We stopped for a moment at Zen Tala’s booth, but owner and creator of all the beautiful jewelry and other charms, Stacey Smith, was busy talking to customers.

CONTACT

www.facebook.com/ZentalabyStacey

Call Stacey at 214-502-5673

Roger and Mary Grider – Owners of Grider’s Specialty Gifts – Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

Grider’s Specialty Gifts

Like several of the people I talked with today, the Grider’s have some challenges in dealing in managing health care expenses.  Roger recently got out of the hospital and needs to use a walker to get around.  Mary who is a school bus driver is looking forward to school starting soon so she can get to work and start bringing in some income.  In the meantime they have depended on their business to help tide them over.

They have a website that is coming soon.

Their gifts include various scented products such as air fresheners for the car and home.  They also sell Bath salt.  I purchased a tub of Grider’s Specialty Gifts Tranquility Bath salt.  I can’t testify as to whether It will make me tranquil or not.  You’ll have to ask my friends after I have a few showers.  However, I can tell you that I used a little on my hands and they feel and smell great.  And the price is right at $5.00 for a pound and a quarter of bath salts.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Grindersspecialtygifts@yahoo.com

972-391-7978
972-854-3964

Paul Himmelreich—writer, archeologist, bouquiniste -  Garland Texas MarketPlace – August 19, 2017

PAUL HIMMELREICH

I stopped in and chatted with Paul for a few moments.  You may remember I wrote a piece about him in my last post on the MarketPlace.  He didn’t read it.  LOL.  Of course that earned him a black mark with me.

He did mention that he was busy working on a new book about all the ghost towns of Dallas County.  Apparently over time more than 200 towns/villages have been sucked into the black hole of history, but Paul is pulling them all back into the light of day due to his diligent research.

Here is another fact I learned about our main Garland Post Office when talking with Paul.  The post office was built on the site of the first pickle factory in Garland that was built in the 1930’s and lasted until the early 1960’s when Joe Craddock, owner, sold it to the government.  Over the years, the plumbing pipes on that site have been replaced many times due to all the brine in the soil.  It simply eats through the pipes.  Paul also reported that when it rains, birds descend on the place to drink the brine water.  Read more about Joe Craddock and the pickle industry in Garland, Texas at the Landmark museum site:  Pickles spiced city’s economy.  

I swear, the next time I visit his booth that I’m going to break down and buy a copy of his book, IMAGES OF AMERICA GARLAND.  (Among other things it includes the story of Roy Rodgers’ visit to Garland.)

CONTACT INFORMATION:  PAUL HIMMELREICH

PO BOX 494373 – Garland, Texas 75049

himmeltx@gmail.com

Margaret Chapa holds down her Spicy Pretzel booth – Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

Miss Margie’s Spicy Pretzels

I was very happy to see Margaret Chapa.  Her business, as you may recall if you read my last Garland MarketPlace report, was only a few weeks old.  Apparently it is surviving and thriving.  It will do even better if more folks get down to the Garland MarketPlace and purchase some of her spicy pretzels.

CONTACT INFORMAITON

Margaret Chapa

missmargies@outlook.com

Julia Pitts, owner and creator of Velma Mae Vintage Designs – Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017 – Garland Texas

Velma Mae Vintage Designs

It was interesting and fun to chat with Julia.  Not only is she local, but she is our neighbor who lives in our same Coomer Creek neighborhood. We got to hear the story that here home was the one in our neighborhood that was recently struck by lightening.  She reported that it knocked a big hole in her roof, but thankfully no one in her family was hurt.

Julia is the perfect example of that that old cliché:  If you want something done, ask a busy person.  As I looked around her booth with hundreds of handmade items, I asked her if she made all of them and she said that she did. 

I was even more amazed to learn that Julia has two school age children and one two year old!

https://www.instagram.com/velmamaevd

214-998-1415

velma_mae_vintage_designs@aol.com

https://www.facebook.com/velmamaevintagedesigns

Stephanie Cole with her two grandsons at the Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

Pinson & Cole’s Gourmet Pickles

It was nice to stop and chat a few minutes with Stephanie.  She has been featuring her marvelous pickles at the Garland Market Place for several years now and I’ve been stopping in at her booth for just about as long.  At the Garland MarketPlace a couple of weeks ago Charlie bought a jar of her Mexican Habanero and Chilies pickles that he is still working on as a little goes a long way.

CONTACT

http://www.pic-licious.com

214-670- 2042

stephaniepcole@yahoo.com

Christy and Michael Funke, owners of Bubba Funke Jelly – Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

Bubba Funke Spicy Jelly

I enjoyed saying howdy for the third time this summer to this delightful and talented couple.  Michael is a full-time fifth grade teacher and Christy is a Safari Classics production manager. Their jellies are great.  Come to the next MarketPlace and buy some.  Then you’ll know from experience what I mean.

Imagine this:  You have a Mexican restaurant in Garland, Texas.  You have some Bubba Funke Jelly on your table along with a small sign.  “This restaurant supports LOCAL Garland.  Try some of our locally made Bubba Funke jalapeno jelly and then buy some at the counter on your way out—but this is only if you are able to hold onto your sombrero because it is spicy.”  People like the big guy who supports the little guy especially when the little guy is local.

Here is a video that was likely created by Christy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE9WRt5HZDg

Mfunke76@yahoo.com

http://bubbafunkejelly.com/contact-us

Abigail Courtney sits amongst her and Holly Brewer’s wonderful bakery goods in her booth at the Garland MarketPlace – August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

Baking Buns

I was happy to see Abigail again.  Like Miss Margie who sells spiced pretzels, Baking Buns is also just out of the incubator and little more than a month old.  It’s great to have new local business startups in the Garland area.  We need to support them as best we can because what’s good for one local is good for all locals.

CONTACT

Cheerfulbaker1722@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/bakingbuns03

http://www.imgrum.org/user/baking_buns_03/3447462288

Abigail Courtney 213-535-2146
Holly Brewer 504-638-3078

Ruby Costanza and her funnel cakes at the Garland MarketPlace – August 19, 2017 – Garland Texas

Ruby’s Funnel Cakes

One of our first stops was at Ruby’s booth to see how well she has been doing with the sale of her new product offering of funnel cakes.  It turns out that business is booming and we can see why.  Although we didn’t taste one on Saturday, we did at the last Garland MarketPlace and the experience is unforgettably yummy.  Order some for your next party!

CONTACT

214-801-1017

Rubyanncostanza58@gmail.com 

Laurie Lanehart’s Swedish Cinnamon Buns – Garland MarketPlace

Swedish Cinnamon Buns

We stopped by Laurie’s booth momentarily.  As I may have mentioned Charlie and I are counting calories these days and Laurie has a new shaped cinnamon bun for sale.  We knew if we stuck around too long that we would succumb to the temptation and besides, Lauri’s booth was crowded with customers.

Laurie makes special orders for parties.

Call her at 972-816-3698

Or write to her at

cinnamonbunsbyLaurie@gmail.com 

Katie Hornsby owner of family-run KH2 Bakery right here in Garland, Texas at the Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017

KH2 Bakery

We stopped by to see how one of our great local bakeries, KH2 Bakery was doing.  Since Charlie and I are trying a little harder these days to watch our calories, with the exception of some honey, we purchased mostly non-food items from the vendors.  However we could not resist a sample taste of Kh2 Bakery’s latest creation—an Elvis cupcake.  Like all of their baked goods that we’ve tasted—it was delicious.

“The Elvis” -

a banana cupcake with peanut butter honey icing and maple syrup drizzle.  According to information on their Facebook last night, it had many people go bananas for them. Even had someone order a dozen of them on the spot.

CONTACT

KATIE HORNSBY
469-951-6064
4621 Paradise Cove
Garland, TX 75043

https:///.facebook.com/KHsquaredBakery/

It pays off to be a vendor at the Garland MarketPlace!  Call Kirk today at 469-275-9616 to reserve your spot for September!

Ama in her booth at the Garland MarketPlace – August 19, 2017 – Garland Texas

Ama’s Kitchen

We stopped in to see Ama again.  At the last Garland MarketPlace we purchased a jar of her wonderful Lemon/Lavender jelly.  On Saturday we tasted a sample of her latest product—lemon basil jelly.  It was delicious too.  Here is a hint to the local restaurants around the square:  Why don’t you call up Ama and buy some of her jelly for your restaurant.  You could even put a small sign in the middle of each table that reads “We support Local and that’s why offer you local jelly.” You could even keep a few jars up on your counter to sell for Ama. Customers like merchants who support local—that’s a proven marketing fact.

CONTACT

Ama’s Kitchen

923 W. Yellow Jacket Lane

Rockwall, TX 75087

770-378-5510

Bob Michel Beekeeper – Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017 Garland Texas

Charis Honey Farms

Bob sells local honey that is raw, unfiltered and 100% pure.  I didn’t realize this until Charlie told me yesterday and Bob confirmed it:  Honey lasts forever as a food.

If you are among those who adhere to the notion that we need to store food for a long-lasting disaster, then honey should be on the top of your list.  We tasted samples of Bob’s honey and the most wonderful of all to us was the Rockwall honey.  It is absolutely the best honey I ever remember eating and my father was a beekeeper too so I’ve had many samples over the years.  Rockwall honey is in a league by itself.

CONTACT

Bob Michel

972-412-1861 (Home)

469-233-2870 (Cell)

www.CharisHoneyFarms.com

CharisHoneyFarms@gmail.com

Maria Lunger, owner of  Toni’s Korner – Glass Fusing and Stained Glass – Garland MarketPlace – August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

Toni’s Korner

We stopped by Toni’s Korner to view all the amazing glassware made by Maria Lunger.  Below are additional samples of her amazing work:

Handmade glass pieces from Toni’s Korner at the Garland MarketPlace August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

CONTACT

TonisKorner@verizon.net

972-968-8834

www.Toiskorner.com

The Tin Lizard – Make Garland Weird – 507 W. Walnut Street – Garland Texas 75040 – Owner Billy Miller

THE TIN LIZARD

Our local shopping adventure ended at the Tin Lizard where Charlie spent about $100 and I spent $2 for a Luciano Pavarotti Mesa Di Requiem CD in perfect condition.  Charlie is a knife hound and is especially addicted to Case knives.  We spent about two hours in Billy’s wonderful and quite large store.

Billy rents the property, which is located at the corner of Walnut and Fifth.  Prior to the Tin Lizard, an upholstery shop—another local business, occupied the building.  It moved to a new location near the police station. Billy said that even after three years people stop in to ask upholstering questions.  He joked and said that if his business failed he could always upholster.

Billy Miller, Owner THE TIN LIZARD – the store with everything that you didn’t realize you wanted until you saw it – August 19, 2017 – Garland, Texas

If you love the unusual, the artistic, the one-of-a-kind pieces, you’ll be hooked on the Tin Lizard!

CONTACT FOR TIN LIZARD:

972-849-9435

Billy Miller Owner

STOP BY

Corner of 5th and Walnut - 507 Walnut Street - right across from the train station in downtown Garland, Texas

Here are a few of my favorite things from the Tin Lizard:

Ceramic steer’s head and platter – Tin Lizard – Garland Texas

The steer’s head is hollow and fits exactly on the platter.  Its purpose is to keep the meat warm and away from flies.  I consider it as a functional art piece.

Beautiful guitar with pearl inlay at the Tin Lizard – Garland, Texas

A pair of paper mache flamingos in mint condition from the 1950’s – made in Mexico, their legs are painted rebar – The Tin Lizard – Garland, Texas

Wall hanging at the Tin Lizard – Garland Texas

I’ll have to ask Billy about this wall hanging the next time I’m in his shop and yes, there will be a next time.  Phil Graves is somewhat well-known in advertising circles.  He was once quoted as saying “there is no bad publicity.”  Perhaps this wall hanging is a tongue-in-cheek pun to prove him wrong—but then again I may be reading way to much in this.

When you visit Tin Lizard be sure to ask Billy to direct you to the lovely painting of poppies, snakes and frogs.  Better yet, buy it and send it to me.  It’s only $250 and worth every cent.

Closing note on Local entrepreneurs and local businesses

These people take their local community very seriously and they are very generous. They deserve our support in every way that we can provide it.  They support other locals in many ways.  For example, when it comes to things like hiring a lawyer, or an advertising agency, more often than not, they use local people.  Thus, most of the money you spend at a local establishment gets re-circulated back into your local economy. 

I happen to know via Loving Garland Green and the Garland Community Garden that Billy supports local artists by selling their work and they in turn share with the community.  That’s how local works.  A few months ago, one of the local artists associated with The Tin Lizard dropped off four children=sized chairs and a large wooden trellis for the Garden.

Gravatar

Female Monarch on Milkweed 9:20 AM August 18 – Garland Community Garden

Garland Community Garden is a great place for Monarch Watching! 

You are guaranteed to see more Monarchs and other pollinators in the Garland Community Garden than any other place in Garland.  It is also the only place where you and your family and friends can take a photo of yourself as a Monarch.  We hope that you will and that you will send the photo to Mayor Athas in support of his Mayor’s Monarch Pledge.  The Garland Community Garden, stewarded by Loving Garland Green,  is located at 4022 Naaman School Road at the intersection of Brand and Naaman School Road in Garland Texas.

Please remember Loving Garland Green on Texas Day of Giving.  Beginning September 7, simply go to Loving Garland Green's information site  at North Texas Day of Giving  and you can schedule your donation for Loving Garland Green.

Progression in Our History of Monarch Care

I was thinking this morning about how Charlie’s and my care of the Monarchs is advancing with each year.  It seems like once you begin paying attention to these beautiful creatures, you are hooked.

Our first year to rescue Monarch caterpillars and then release them was 2015.  The big event that year was when one of our members, Cheryl Andres, found a Monarch Caterpillar on a dead milkweed leaf on December 5th in the Garland Community Garden.  We kept the caterpillar that ended up eclosing on New Years Eve.  We named the female “Happy 2016” and drove her all the way to Raymondville to release her. 

The next year we shared many of the caterpillars we rescued with students in our local Garland Schools and we began tagging the butterflies prior to releasing them by participating in a citizen science project sponsored by Monarch Watch Org., an organization affiliated with Kansas University. 

Now, in 2017, in addition to rescuing caterpillars, we are rescuing Monarch eggs, netting Monarchs (then tagging and releasing), and of course, still rescuing caterpillars and releasing them as tagged Monarchs.  We are also participating in a caterpillar and milkweed monitoring citizen science project sponsored by the University of Minnesota.  Our Monarch world has certainly expanded. 

Two eggs rescued from the Garland Community Garden August 18, 2017 - Photo Jane Stroud

Two Female Monarchs at the Garland Community Garden Yesterday Deposited Eggs

Yesterday morning when I was down at the Garland Community Garden I saw two female monarchs in both of our Monarch patches and then about an hour later before leaving the garden I examined the underside of several milkweed plants and found two eggs near the top of two of our tropical milkweeds.  I rescued the eggs and brought them home.  The eggs are so tiny, I can’t imagine them becoming caterpillars, but we will see in a few days.

I feel a little more confident since receiving a link from Jane yesterday as to how one should take care of Monarch eggs.  http://www.instructables.com/id/Monarch-Butterflies-Egg-to-Butterfly

Jane downloaded a new app for her phone that can be used with the phone camera to magnify photos.  She came over and took photos of the two eggs I rescued yesterday.  We are not entirely certain the egg on the left is a Monarch egg as they are oval shaped and this one appears more rounded, but we shall see.

And then there is the continuing saga of the four caterpillars rescued by Loving Garland Green Board member, Burgi Bartlett on August 7, 2017. . .

Female Monarch - Garland Texas - August 18, 2017 -  shortly after eclosure

First of Four Monarch Caterpillars Rescued by Loving Garland Green Board Member Burgi Bartlett on August 7th became a Female Monarch Butterfly on August 18th!

Female Monarch rescued as a caterpillar on August 7, 2017 by Loving Garland Green member, Burgi Barlett, eclosed on August 18th.

Tally of Garland Resident Rescued Monarchs Thus Far in 2017

As mentioned in a previous article, we have already released two other Monarchs that eclosed in August in Garland, Texas.  Kala King, a Garland nature photographer, rescued those in late July.  

Thus far for August of 2017: Loving Garland Green has released two Monarchs (one male and one female); we have one female Monarch butterfly; three more caterpillars close to eclosure; and two eggs waiting in the wings.  These late July/early to mid August rescues are most likely fourth generation Monarchs.  They will be laying eggs for fifth generation Monarchs right here in Garland, Texas.  The fifth generation lives six to eight months and flies to Mexico to overwinter. They then return in late March of the next year to deposit eggs for the first generation of that year.

This year was our first year to rescue Monarch caterpillars and release first generation Monarch butterflies at the Garland Community Garden.  Jane Stroud, President Loving Garland Green, had rescued four from her home garden in early April of 2017.  We were fortunate to be able to share the release of five Monarch butterflies with 69 First Graders from Beaver MST here in Garland.

There you have it.  That’s why Garland, Texas is such an important way station for Monarchs.  We are home to many first and fifth generation Monarchs! 

Rescuing Monarchs is important for so many reasons.  The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has petitioned to protect the monarch butterfly under the Endangered Species Act.  Although other factors are at play, habitat loss is one of the major causes for declines in Monarch population,  Increasing habitat by planting milkweed is one easy way to help the Monarchs.  Rescuing them as eggs and caterpillars is also important.  It is estimated by most sources that in the wild less than 5% of Monarchs make it from egg to butterfly due to their large number of predators whereas the ratio is reversed for rescued Monarchs as 95% of those rescued at their early stages survive to eclose as butterflies.  Thus rescue and planting milkweed are the two best ways we can help bring back Monarchs.

Join Monarch Maniacs in Garland Texas and Bring Back Monarchs!

Participants will receive:
 - One seed packet of Green Milkweed (contains 10 seeds);
 - One 22-by-16 Monarch Maniacs yard sign (double-sided with stake); and
 - One information card with tips and tricks on how to plant your milkweed.

These items will be available for pickup at City Hall, 200 N. Fifth St. For more information about when to pick up your items, call the Office of the Mayor at 972-205-2400 or email Mayor@GarlandTX.gov

Gravatar

The following is information regarding a worthy citizen science project being undertaken by the people at Journey North.  I’m proposing to the board that we add this project to Loving Garland Green’s list of citizen science projects.  I would like to adopt a classroom of students from one of our local Garland schools to steward this project with us. 

We could either bring the garden to them or we could have them come to the Garland Community Garden and plant the tulips there.

Gardeners should plant tulips when the weather cools and leaves start to drop from trees. Most suggest the best time to get tulips into the ground is when nighttime temperatures drop under 50 degrees F. American Meadows suggests that planting should coincide with the first frosts in the area.

Any planting should take place around the time of the first frost, which occurs as early as the second week of October in north Texas and as late as mid-December in south Texas.

Tracking Change in Seasons and Climate Around the Globe

Each fall, people across the Northern Hemisphere plant Red Emperor tulip bulbs in Journey North Test Gardens to help monitor seasonal change in a scientific way. In the spring, when the plants emerge and bloom, test gardeners report their data to the maps. One garden at a time, the relationship between climate, geography and the greening of spring is revealed.

Local climate affects where, when, and how plants grow. Over time, the timing of plant growth can be used as an indicator of climate change. Everyone who participates in this international tulip test garden project contributes valuable information to a long-term database.

This fall, plant your own Journey North Tulip Test Garden so you can proclaim the greening of spring from your part of the world. Follow news updates and explore the maps to predict when tulip plants will emerge in your hometown.

As a scientific experiment, all Journey North gardens must be planted with NEW Red Emperor tulip bulbs. Try purchasing bulbs in your community. If these tulips are unavailable locally, we can purchase through a supplier.

Bulb Supplier Information

PARTICIPATION REQUIRES ONLY A FEW STEPS

1. BEFORE PLANTING

• REGISTER for Journey North 
    Registration is free.
  • ORDER Tulip Bulbs 
    Purchase new Red Emperor Tulip bulbs each year. Some discounts apply.
  • EXPLORE Fall Lessons 
    Plan pre-planting inquiry-based activities.

2. PLANT YOUR TULIPS

3. REPORT TO PLANTING DATES TO JOURNEY NORTH

• REPORT to Journey North 
    After planting, report your garden to Journey North.
  • SEE YOUR GARDEN on the map.
    When you report, your garden appears on the map!

4. IN THE SPRING, REPORT TO JOURNEY NORTH TWICE:  

1) When your tulips emerge

2) When your tulips bloom