Here are a few ways to save North Texas water in the summertime while maintaining a beautiful lawn.
- Change sprinkler controllers to create a cycle and soak program with three-minute run times for pop-up head zones and multiple start times to ensure the water does not run off on sidewalks or driveways. Most controllers will allow three or more start times. They also normally have an A, B and C program button for up to nine different start times.
- Use two to four inches of mulch in shrub beds and lower the watering times for the beds if they are on their own separate zone.
- Mow high. Raise the deck on the lawn mower. Do not remove more than one-third of the length of the lawn (leaf blade).
- Use a mulching lawn mower to add nutrients back into the yard for free.
- Consider installing low-maintenance, “Texas-scape” landscaping.
For more information, call 972- 979-3996 or visit LandscapeWaterManagement.com.
For more stories like this read Natural Awakenings Dallas-Ft Worth Metroplex magazine at NADallas.com