The benefits of clean water and having plenty of safe water to drink are well known. Our bodies are made up of 70 percent water. By the time we feel thirsty, the body has lost over 1 percent of its water and one quarter of its energy capacity.
In 1969, Joseph M. Price, a medical doctor, wrote a popular book, Coronaries, Cholesterol & Chlorine, in which he linked chlorine in drinking water supplies to heart attacks. “Chlorine is the chemical catalyst that initiates damage to the arteries and buildup of cholesterol deposits. This ‘clogging’ can ultimately lead to a heart attack,” he wrote.
- One in five Americans is exposed to water contaminated with toxic chemicals.
- Arsenic and small amounts of radiation are commonly found in well and ground water where gas and oil fracking has occurred in the recent years.
- Some cites in North Texas are switching to chloramines as a disinfectant rather than chlorine. EPA states that chloramines provide longer-lasting disinfection as the as the water moves through pipes to consumers.
- Activated carbon filters do not remove chloramines. Only catalytic carbon can remove chloramines.
- Our bodies can absorb contaminates in tap water through the skin while bathing and showering. We absorb six to 100 times more chlorine and fluoride in a shower than by drinking the same water.
- Fluoride is not beneficial when ingested through drinking water. It affects the pineal gland in the brain, causing neurobehavioral deficits.
- Approximately 40 percent of the lakes in America are too polluted for fishing, aquatic life or swimming.
- Each year, 1.2 trillion gallons of untreated sewage, storm water and industrial waste are dumped into U.S. water.
Drinking purified water does a lot more than quench our thirst, it keeps our bodies in great working order. Drinking purified water keeps us young mentally and physically. It keeps skin moisturized, reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and prevents memory loss as we age. Drinking purified water is good for our joints because they need moisture to remain strong and flexible, so that movements are smooth and pain-free. Drinking purified water throughout the day instead of soda or Gatorade is a great way to make sure the body gets what it needs.
Justin Patman is the owner of Nivian Water, in Richardson. For more information, call 972-778-8005 or visit NivianWater.com.
For more stories like this read Natural Awakenings Dallas-Ft Worth magazine at NADallas.com